UConn's DeAndre Daniels to enter NBA Draft; Ryan Boatright returning to school
During the Final Four Boatright said “patience is a virtue” and that a lot of players make the mistake of coming out early and “getting stuck in Europe or the D-League.” At the parade in Hartford after UConn won, Boatright said it was moments like this that “make you want to stay and do it again.” Like Daniels and Omar Calhoun, he did not make the trip to Fenway Park with the team on Tuesday, but extended his Easter stay at home in Chicago with his family.
Boatright has played in 94 games, averaging 33 minutes and 12.7 points. He has 362 assists and 134 steals.
College players have until Sunday night to enter the draft. If they do not hire an agent, they can withdraw and return to school as late as June 16.
The Huskies will be loaded in the backcourt, with Boatright returning as a senior and Terrence Samuel, who played an increasingly important role late last season, returning as a sophomore. Rodney Purvis, an elite recruit who transferred from N.C. State, will be eligible to play next season and Sam Cassell Jr., son of the longtime NBA point guard, is also coming after two years in junior college.
At the shooting guard/small forward wing position, the Huskies will have Omar Calhoun, looking to come back from a difficult sophomore year, and expect to have highly regarded freshman Daniel Hamilton.
Daniels usually played power forward, where his speed and range were often difficult for burlier, more prototypical power forwards to guard. The Huskies will have sophomore Kentan Facey, who did not play much as a freshman, and possibly incoming freshman Rakim Lubin, who has not yet signed, at that spot, with Amida Brimah and Phil Nolan returning for the other frontcourt spot.
Through the years, 15 previous players have left UConn before their eligibility ran out and 14 were drafted in the first round (Khalid El-Amin is the exception, going in the second round), 13 lottery picks, including Andre Drummond and Jeremy Lamb in 2012.
©2014 The Hartford Courant (Hartford, Conn.)
Visit The Hartford Courant (Hartford, Conn.) at www.courant.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 132
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 94
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 73
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 65
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 51
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29