NBA playoffs: A test of survival as Heat holds off the Bobcats
Chalmers, a game-time decision because of a bruised shin sustained in Game 1, had 11 points, going 3 of 7 from the field, 2 of 4 from three-point range and 3 of 4 from the free-throw line.
The Bobcats had a chance to tie with 1:10 left in the game, but a three-pointer by Douglas-Roberts was off the mark.
So overmatched is Charlotte in this series, but the “under-cats” certainly haven’t played without heart. Center Al Jefferson played 40 minutes despite a torn tendon in his foot and had 18 points and 13 rebounds. Walker had 16 points, going 5 of 18 from the field and 4 of 9 from three-point range.
“You do have to credit Charlotte,” Spoelstra said. “They hung around. They didn’t make it easy for us when we got up 13-15 to break it open to 20. They kept on competing.”
The Heat forced 15 turnovers for the second game in a row but committed 17 turnovers. Despite the sloppy play, the Heat shot 52.2 percent from the field and was 9€‰of 23 from three-point range. The Bobcats shot 42 percent from the field.
McRoberts’ aggressive foul on James with 50 seconds left was not elevated to a flagrant foul by officials, but that ruling could be changed by the league on Thursday. McRoberts left his feet and elbowed James in the throat. James sat under the basket for several seconds in obvious pain. His thoughts on the hit?
“My reaction was I was trying to catch my breath,” James said.
©2014 The Miami Herald
Visit The Miami Herald at www.miamiherald.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
PHOTOS (from MCT Photo Service, 202-383-6099):
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20