MIKE MCCARN, Associated Press
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Cam Newton says he was surprised the Panthers released veteran wide receiver Steve Smith this offseason.
Newton says "if you were in the 704 (area code), you were caught by surprise. Everybody in the Carolinas was surprised, including myself."
Newton spoke Tuesday at team headquarters during a break from offseason condition workouts, which began Monday.
Along with Smith, the Panthers also lost Brandon LaFell, Ted Gin Jr. and Domenik Hixon via free agency, meaning Newton will be without his top four receivers from last season.
Newton isn't concerned about developing chemistry with his new group of receivers, even though he'll be out until at least June following ankle surgery.
Newton says the changes mean he needs to "take more ownership of the offense."
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- 4A boys basketball tournament quarterfinal...
- 3A boys state tournament quarterfinals...
- Morning links: Utah coaching job ranked; NFL...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 89
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 81
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 55
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 29