MIKE MCCARN, Associated Press
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Cam Newton says he was surprised the Panthers released veteran wide receiver Steve Smith this offseason.
Newton says "if you were in the 704 (area code), you were caught by surprise. Everybody in the Carolinas was surprised, including myself."
Newton spoke Tuesday at team headquarters during a break from offseason condition workouts, which began Monday.
Along with Smith, the Panthers also lost Brandon LaFell, Ted Gin Jr. and Domenik Hixon via free agency, meaning Newton will be without his top four receivers from last season.
Newton isn't concerned about developing chemistry with his new group of receivers, even though he'll be out until at least June following ankle surgery.
Newton says the changes mean he needs to "take more ownership of the offense."
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19