Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
OGDEN — The Weber State football team wrapped up spring camp with the annual Purple and White game Saturday at Stewart Stadium as the WSU Purple team defeated the White team 20-14.
The Purple team got the scoring started with a 4-yard touchdown pass from Jadrian Clark. The White team came back with a 1-yard run by Jeff Kidd to tie the game. Gabe Davis broke off a 66-yard touchdown run to put the Purple team back on top 14-7 at halftime.
Kellen Copeland tied the game up with a 1-yard touchdown run for the White team to make it 14-14. Late in the fourth quarter the Purple team sealed the win with a 10-yard run by Zach Smith.
Smith led the rushing attack for the Purple team, finishing with 19 carries for 86 yards and one touchdown. Davis added 76 yards on the ground as the Purple team totaled 151 yards on the ground.
Clark finished the day 9-of-12 passing for 115 yards with one touchdown and one interception. Shaydon Kehano had five catches for 80 yards to lead the receivers, while Jake Kahawaii had three catches. Eddy Hall and Antonio Douglas also caught passes for the Purple team.
On defense, the Purple team was led by Connor Myers with seven tackles and Devonte Johnson with five. Deontae Florence recovered a fumble and Ryan Tuiasoa had an interception.
Sophomore quarterback Austin Chipoletti finished the day 11-of-19 passing for 100 yards for the White team. He also rushed for 15 yards. Copeland had six carries for 48 yards and a touchdown to lead the rushing game, while De'Saan Hardwick had three receptions for 32 yards.
Alema Key led the White team with nine tackles and had an interception and forced a fumble. Spencer Unga added five tackles and A.J. Coney recorded an interception.
"We did some good things out there today and had a lot of positives," said WSU head coach Jay Hill. "We still had some turnovers that hurt us and we still have lots of things to fix. It was very competitive out there and some of the bad habits came back. This game is a good teaching opportunity for us to see where we stand and where we want to be."
The Wildcats now start preparations for the 2014 season which begins Aug. 28 at Arizona State. The home-opener is set for Sept. 6 against North Dakota State.
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 91
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 35
- Video: 100 days until college football... 26
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 26
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 13
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 12