MOKPO, South Korea — The captain of the ferry that sank off South Korea, leaving more than 300 missing or dead, was arrested Saturday on suspicion of negligence and abandoning people in need. Two crew members also were taken into custody, including a rookie third mate who a prosecutor said was steering in challenging waters unfamiliar to her when the accident occurred.
The number of confirmed dead rose to 36 after divers broke a window in the submerged ferry and retrieved three more bodies, Kim Kwang-hyun, a coast guard official, said early Sunday. These apparently were the first bodies recovered from inside the ferry since it sank Wednesday.
Kim said he had no information about whether the divers actually entered the submerged ferry to pull out the bodies or whether divers were now able to search the rest of the ship for bodies or any unlikely survivors. Strong currents and rain have prevented divers from searching inside the ferry.
Hundreds of civilian, government and military divers were involved in the search Saturday. A civilian diver saw three bodies inside the ship Saturday but was unable to break the windows, said another coast guard official, Kwon Yong-deok. It was not known whether these were the same bodies recovered later.
Earlier Saturday, four bodies were discovered in the murky waters near the ferry, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported.
The ferry's captain, Lee Joon-seok, 68, was arrested along with one of the Sewol's three helmsmen and the 25-year-old third mate, prosecutors said.
"I am sorry to the people of South Korea for causing a disturbance and I bow my head in apology to the families of the victims," Lee told reporters Saturday morning as he left the Mokpo Branch of Gwangju District Court to be jailed. But he defended his much-criticized decision to wait about 30 minutes before ordering an evacuation.
"At the time, the current was very strong, the temperature of the ocean water was cold, and I thought that if people left the ferry without (proper) judgment, if they were not wearing a life jacket, and even if they were, they would drift away and face many other difficulties," Lee said. "The rescue boats had not arrived yet, nor were there any civilian fishing ships or other boats nearby at that time."
The Sewol sank off South Korea's southern coast Wednesday with 476 people aboard, most of them students on holiday from a single high school. About 265 people are still missing, and most are believed to be trapped inside the 6,852-ton vessel.
By the time the evacuation order was issued, the ship was listing at too steep an angle for many people to escape the tight hallways and stairs inside. Several survivors told The Associated Press that they never heard any evacuation order.
Senior prosecutor Yang Jung-jin told reporters that the third mate was steering the ship Wednesday morning as it passed through an area with lots of islands clustered close together and fast currents. According to investigators, the accident came at a point where the ship had to make a turn. Prosecutor Park Jae-eok said investigators were looking at whether the third mate ordered a turn so sharp that it caused the vessel to list.
Yang said the third mate has six months of experience, and hadn't steered in the area before because another mate usually handles those duties. She took the wheel this time because heavy fog caused a departure delay, Yang said, adding that investigators do not know whether the ship was going faster than usual.
Helmsman Park Kyung-nam identified the third mate as Park Han-kyul. The helmsman who was arrested, 55-year-old Cho Joon-ki, spoke to reporters outside court and accepted some responsibility.
"There was a mistake on my part as well, but the steering had been turned much more than usual," Cho said.
- Jeb Bush used 'shock and awe' campaign to...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- 'No more baby parts': Reclusive suspect's...
- These touching Christmas ads will melt any...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Obama: Climate pact an 'act of defiance'...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Official says gunman made 'no more baby...
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 64
- 'No more baby parts': Reclusive... 49
- Obama admin says states lack authority... 40
- Police: 3 killed, 9 wounded in attack... 35
- Jeb Bush used 'shock and awe' campaign... 32
- Official says gunman made 'no more baby... 29
- Obama: Climate pact an 'act of... 26
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 26