Tom Smart, Deseret News
AUSTIN PITCHER, American Fork, baseball: He was equal to his last name in every sense of the word in American Fork's thrilling 3-2 victory over Lone Peak in extra innings early in the week. The senior went the distance, throwing 120 pitches to lead his team to a key Region 4 win.
"His 120th pitch was as good as his first pitch," said American Fork coach Jarod Ingersoll following the game. "I can't say enough about him today and how he competed. I thought his mound presence was really good and he showed us by his body language that he could get the job done."
Later in the week Pitcher contributed a key double to help the Cavemen take an 11-10 win over the Knights in 12 innings.
Pitcher is now 2-0 on the year and a big reason why American Fork stands on top of Region 4 with an 8-1 region record and 13-3 record overall.
SHAYLEE PIERCE, Fremont, softball: Shaylee Pierce is the player the top-ranked Silver Wolves look to when they need a spark on offense.
"She has really come out as one of our go-to hitters," said Fremont head coach Kamarie Merrill. "We can count on her to get a hit and get on base. Right now, she's hitting more home runs than anybody, too."
Pierce has five on the season but has had multiple home runs in key games.
She's just crazy," Merrill said. "She's consistently getting on base, but not only is she just amazing at the plate, she has figured things out and she's matured a lot. Base running, she's probably one of my fastest base runners. But she also picks up extra bases that other people can't because she's so savvy on the bases.
The honor student is equally key to the team's defense in right field.
"She is speed, Merrill said of her fielding. "She cover so much ground in the outfield for us. She's kind of a calming presence. She leads more so by example."
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in...
- College football predictions: How will... 136
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 56
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 46
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 39
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36