BRIDGER NIELSON, Skyline, baseball: A year after Skylines baseball team missed the playoffs, this senior lefty is making make sure it doesnt happen again.
Nielson struck out 11 batters and only allowed five hits last Thursday to power Skyline to a 3-1 victory over Orem in Region 7 action.
The victory helped Skyline improve to 12-3 this season, but more importantly 4-0 in league.
“He’s a bona fide ace, and has been pitching phenomenally for us,” said Skyline coach Erik Hansen. “What you saw today is just what we’ve come to expect from him.”
He kept Orem’s hitters off balance with his fastball and breaking ball to improve to 4-0 this season after going 7-0 last year.
“He’s just been doing that sort of stuff for a long time for us now,” said Hansen. “We know when he takes the mound that he’s likely going the whole way.”
A second-team all-stater last year, Nielson has recorded 15 strikeouts in two of his four starts this year and he also has a no-hitter to his credit against Provo on March 14.
JAICI BISHOP, Juan Diego, softball: Jaici Bishop isn’t just a great softball player. She’s as dedicated and hardworking off the field as she is on a softball diamond.
“This past week (Jaici) and the Juan Diego team took time away from their busy schedule to visit the Road Home Shelter to work with youth there,” said Juan Diego head coach Paul Archuleta. “Jaici is loved on and off the field and works hard at everything she does.”
The junior maintains a 3.8 GPA and is in the top five in triples with three, while leading the state in doubles hit with 12. The three-year starter is batting .565 midway through the season.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 122
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 26
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21