BRIDGER NIELSON, Skyline, baseball: A year after Skylines baseball team missed the playoffs, this senior lefty is making make sure it doesnt happen again.
Nielson struck out 11 batters and only allowed five hits last Thursday to power Skyline to a 3-1 victory over Orem in Region 7 action.
The victory helped Skyline improve to 12-3 this season, but more importantly 4-0 in league.
“He’s a bona fide ace, and has been pitching phenomenally for us,” said Skyline coach Erik Hansen. “What you saw today is just what we’ve come to expect from him.”
He kept Orem’s hitters off balance with his fastball and breaking ball to improve to 4-0 this season after going 7-0 last year.
“He’s just been doing that sort of stuff for a long time for us now,” said Hansen. “We know when he takes the mound that he’s likely going the whole way.”
A second-team all-stater last year, Nielson has recorded 15 strikeouts in two of his four starts this year and he also has a no-hitter to his credit against Provo on March 14.
JAICI BISHOP, Juan Diego, softball: Jaici Bishop isn’t just a great softball player. She’s as dedicated and hardworking off the field as she is on a softball diamond.
“This past week (Jaici) and the Juan Diego team took time away from their busy schedule to visit the Road Home Shelter to work with youth there,” said Juan Diego head coach Paul Archuleta. “Jaici is loved on and off the field and works hard at everything she does.”
The junior maintains a 3.8 GPA and is in the top five in triples with three, while leading the state in doubles hit with 12. The three-year starter is batting .565 midway through the season.
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- Schedule only gets tougher for BYU basketball...
- Cougars relish opportunity to play in-state...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- Utah Jazz: Hayward finally has breakout game...
- Brighton four-star recruit Sione Lund commits...
- Old Wagon Wheel live coverage: BYU at Utah State
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 59
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 52
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 42
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 29
- Disappointed Utes determined to bounce... 24