BRIDGER NIELSON, Skyline, baseball: A year after Skylines baseball team missed the playoffs, this senior lefty is making make sure it doesnt happen again.
Nielson struck out 11 batters and only allowed five hits last Thursday to power Skyline to a 3-1 victory over Orem in Region 7 action.
The victory helped Skyline improve to 12-3 this season, but more importantly 4-0 in league.
“He’s a bona fide ace, and has been pitching phenomenally for us,” said Skyline coach Erik Hansen. “What you saw today is just what we’ve come to expect from him.”
He kept Orem’s hitters off balance with his fastball and breaking ball to improve to 4-0 this season after going 7-0 last year.
“He’s just been doing that sort of stuff for a long time for us now,” said Hansen. “We know when he takes the mound that he’s likely going the whole way.”
A second-team all-stater last year, Nielson has recorded 15 strikeouts in two of his four starts this year and he also has a no-hitter to his credit against Provo on March 14.
JAICI BISHOP, Juan Diego, softball: Jaici Bishop isn’t just a great softball player. She’s as dedicated and hardworking off the field as she is on a softball diamond.
“This past week (Jaici) and the Juan Diego team took time away from their busy schedule to visit the Road Home Shelter to work with youth there,” said Juan Diego head coach Paul Archuleta. “Jaici is loved on and off the field and works hard at everything she does.”
The junior maintains a 3.8 GPA and is in the top five in triples with three, while leading the state in doubles hit with 12. The three-year starter is batting .565 midway through the season.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25