Eugene Hoshiko, Associated Press
NEW YORK — As KFC struggles in the U.S., parent company Yum Brands is testing a new chicken restaurant called Super Chix.
A website for the restaurant in Arlington, Texas, shows a menu that seems positioned as a more premium offering than KFC, in line with the trend toward foods people feel are higher in quality. The menu is fairly simple and lists a chicken sandwich, chicken tenders, fries and custard. Toppings include kosher pickles, jalapenos and sweet pickles, while sauces include smoky honey pepper and Sriracha sweet and sour.
The website also notes that, "Our chicken is marinated daily in our kitchen, then hand-breaded and cooked in 100% refined peanut oil. No MSG, HFCS or phosphates." It refers to its sandwich as "The Last True Chicken Sandwich."
Virginia Ferguson, a spokeswoman for Yum, downplayed the suggestion that the restaurant was being tested for the U.S. market.
"This is an exploratory concept that may in the future be considered for international purposes," Ferguson said in an email. She added that the company will be exploring other concepts for international purposes in the near future, such as a "Banh Shop" that sells Asian subs.
The test comes after KFC ceded its position as the No. 1 chicken chain to Chick-fil-A in 2012 in terms of sales volume, according to food industry researcher Technomic. Although KFC has many more locations than Chick-fil-A, its sales have declined despite new menu items, such as boneless chicken pieces that were touted in "I Ate the Bones" commercials. Last year, sales at established KFC locations in the U.S. declined 5 percent.
Yum has also been testing a higher-end concept called "KFC eleven" that does away with mentions to founder Colonel Harland Sanders.
KFC had about 4,500 U.S. locations last year.
Follow Candice Choi at www.twitter.com/candicechoi
- The best Christian workplaces in 2015
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- There's a bipartisan new approach to curbing...
- Who wins and loses under Obama's stricter...
- How Facebook plans to change the world with...
- In the 21st century, 'spiritual branding' is...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- AT&T, as new owner of DirecTV, offers...
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't... 18
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 18
- Who wins and loses under Obama's... 12
- Higher wages a surprising success for... 11
- Sex and violence harm rather than help... 5
- Contractor fined for employing children... 4
- There's a bipartisan new approach to... 3
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for... 2