KAMIL KRZACZYNSKI, Associated Press
On Saturday, the Jazz announced that they had claimed rookie forward Erik Murphy off waivers from the Chicago Bulls and requested waivers on center Andris Biedrins.
The 23-year-old Murphy (6-foot-10, 230 pounds) was waived by Chicago on April 3 after appearing in 24 games for the Bulls this season, averaging just 2.6 minutes per contest. He was selected by Chicago in the second round (49th overall) of the 2013 NBA Draft.
Murphy played in 136 games (67 starts) over a four-year collegiate career at the University of Florida (2009-13), finishing with career averages of 7.7 points and 3.7 rebounds per game. As a senior in 2012-13, Murphy earned First Team All-SEC and AP Honorable Mention All-American accolades after posting 12.2 points, 5.5 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 0.69 blocks and 0.64 steals per game for the Gators. Murphy was named to the All-SEC Tournament team in both 2012 and 2013.
Born in Lyon, France, Murphy is the son of former NBA forward Jay Murphy (1984-88) and Finland national team player Paivi Murphy, and holds dual U.S. and Finnish citizenship. He will wear jersey No. 33 for the Jazz.
Biedrins, a 7-foot, 250-pound center from Latvia, appeared in just six games this season for Utah after being acquired from Golden State as part of a three-team deal that also brought Richard Jefferson and Brandon Rush to the Jazz last summer. Biedrins averaged 0.5 points and 2.8 rebounds in 7.4 minutes per game for Utah.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30