KAMIL KRZACZYNSKI, Associated Press
On Saturday, the Jazz announced that they had claimed rookie forward Erik Murphy off waivers from the Chicago Bulls and requested waivers on center Andris Biedrins.
The 23-year-old Murphy (6-foot-10, 230 pounds) was waived by Chicago on April 3 after appearing in 24 games for the Bulls this season, averaging just 2.6 minutes per contest. He was selected by Chicago in the second round (49th overall) of the 2013 NBA Draft.
Murphy played in 136 games (67 starts) over a four-year collegiate career at the University of Florida (2009-13), finishing with career averages of 7.7 points and 3.7 rebounds per game. As a senior in 2012-13, Murphy earned First Team All-SEC and AP Honorable Mention All-American accolades after posting 12.2 points, 5.5 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 0.69 blocks and 0.64 steals per game for the Gators. Murphy was named to the All-SEC Tournament team in both 2012 and 2013.
Born in Lyon, France, Murphy is the son of former NBA forward Jay Murphy (1984-88) and Finland national team player Paivi Murphy, and holds dual U.S. and Finnish citizenship. He will wear jersey No. 33 for the Jazz.
Biedrins, a 7-foot, 250-pound center from Latvia, appeared in just six games this season for Utah after being acquired from Golden State as part of a three-team deal that also brought Richard Jefferson and Brandon Rush to the Jazz last summer. Biedrins averaged 0.5 points and 2.8 rebounds in 7.4 minutes per game for Utah.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 46
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 43
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 39
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6