Jeff Roberson, Associated Press
Andrew Wiggins didn’t really just say that, did he?
“I wish I just had more time,” the freshman phenom remarked upon declaring he was heading for the NBA after seven months at Kansas. “College goes by so fast.”
— At SportsPickle.com: “Crips release DeSean Jackson over concern about his affiliation with Washington Redskins organization.”
— At TheOnion.com: “Ryan Braun desperate to regain trust of fans before cheating again.”
Stat of the Week
— Cost to make your marriage proposal on the video board at a major-league ballpark ranges from $39 (Pirates) to $2,500 (Dodgers), according to Swimmingly.com.
(The Mariners and Yankees are a more middling $115 and $100.)
Who says nobody’s perfect?
Mike Delio struck out all 21 batters he faced in a 15-0 win for Carle Place (N.Y.) High School — in his first varsity start.
South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney says without a doubt he should be No. 1:
a) In this year’s NFL draft.
b) On the list of most humble athletes.
A Footlocker store in Columbus, Ohio, had some Aaron Craft basketball jerseys for sale with “Oiho State” stitched on the front.
Just be glad he didn’t play for Rensselaer Polytechnic.
Among this year’s top fantasy-baseball team names, from SportsPickle.com:
— Honey Nut Ichiros
— Concerto in Mike Minor
— Los Jhonny Beisbols
— Comedy writer Alan Ray, questioning the logic of baseball’s new instant-replay system: “You really want to watch the Mets do that again?”
— Comedy writer Tim Hunter, with a sure sign that it’s going to be a long baseball season: “The umpire’s guide dog just bit the second baseman.”
And in college football news, Alabama running back Altee Tenpenny got charged with marijuana possession in his hometown of Little Rock, Ark.
So what’s the over-under on “Tenpenny nailed” headlines?
©2014 The Seattle Times
Visit The Seattle Times at www.seattletimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 105
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 41
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey rebuts rumor... 14