PARKER OVERLY, Orem, baseball: Picked the perfect time to have the best week of his career. The senior pitched his team to a pair of victories last week as Orem won the second-annual Orem Tiger Classic.
Overly earned the complete-game victory last Wednesday in a 6-5 win over Timpanogos, and on Saturday he only allowed two hits over seven innings to lead the Tigers to a 9-0 victory over Sky View in the championship game at Utah Valley University.
In the two tourney wins, Overly only allowed eight hits and struck out 13. At the plate he went 5 for 14 with a double and three RBI.
Overly was named the MVP of the championship game win over Sky View and was awarded a $1,000 scholarship to the college of his choice by tournament sponsor Marquis Properties.
Overly is now 3-0 on the season with a .300 batting average. He maintains a 3.86 GPA and has only missed one day of school in his life. He also helps mentor kids at school with learning disabilities.
ERIN FOX, Bear River, softball: As a freshman Erin Fox exhibited the kind of calm and savvy that usually belongs to an older, more experienced athlete.
We were down one run going into the last inning, said Bear River head coach Calvin Bingham of the Bears championship win over Canyon View in 2011. Jordan Theurer was on third base with two outs, and she took two strikes. Most kids would have been so nervous and scared, but she stayed in there and battled and battled and finally got a walk and stole second.
The next batter hit a shallow fly ball and Fox scored the game-winning run. Now a senior, the shortstop provides much more than just heady play and timely hits, including two home runs last week. Shes a leader and positive force on a talented Bear River team.
Shes just calm and collected, he said. To me she doesnt get nervous or uptight about anything. She just plays the game. Shes got a lot of natural ability, but she is a hard worker. She is full of nonsense too. Shes a lively girl, relates well to everybody. Shes just one of the most enjoyable kids Ive ever coached.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33