zimmytws, Getty Images/iStockphoto
Q: I receive Social Security disability benefits. I now have a second serious disability. Can my monthly benefit amount be increased?
A: No. Your Social Security disability benefit amount is based on the amount of your lifetime earnings before your disability began and not the number of disabling conditions or illnesses you may have. For more information, go to www.socialsecurity.gov/disability.
Q: Is there a time limit on how long I can collect Social Security disability benefits?
A: No. Your disability benefits will continue as long as your medical condition has not improved and you remain unable to work. Your case will be reviewed at regular intervals to determine whether you still are disabled. If you are receiving disability benefits when you reach full retirement age, we will automatically convert them to retirement benefits, without a change in your payment amount. For all your disability questions, read our publication Disability Benefits, available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2014, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Poll: Two-thirds of US would struggle to...
- US home sales growth driven mostly by Midwest
- Refugees and scholars: Colleges offer...
- McDonald's CEO says company is making...
- Janet Yellen says Fed could raise rates in...
- Congress' grade so far? Incomplete at best
- Michelle Singletary: 5 financial rules that...
- Dave Ramsey says: It's OK to take control...
- Poll: Two-thirds of US would struggle... 15
- Refugees and scholars: Colleges offer... 4
- McDonald's CEO says company is... 3
- Tips & Tricks: 6 reasons you may be... 3
- Michelle Singletary: 5 financial rules... 1
- US home sales growth driven mostly by... 0
- Janet Yellen says Fed could raise rates... 0
- Congress' grade so far? Incomplete at best 0