zimmytws, Getty Images/iStockphoto
Q: I receive Social Security disability benefits. I now have a second serious disability. Can my monthly benefit amount be increased?
A: No. Your Social Security disability benefit amount is based on the amount of your lifetime earnings before your disability began and not the number of disabling conditions or illnesses you may have. For more information, go to www.socialsecurity.gov/disability.
Q: Is there a time limit on how long I can collect Social Security disability benefits?
A: No. Your disability benefits will continue as long as your medical condition has not improved and you remain unable to work. Your case will be reviewed at regular intervals to determine whether you still are disabled. If you are receiving disability benefits when you reach full retirement age, we will automatically convert them to retirement benefits, without a change in your payment amount. For all your disability questions, read our publication Disability Benefits, available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2014, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Company plans to hire up to 1,000 new...
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 9
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Optimism on the rise for job seekers 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- How do Americans use their time? 1