zimmytws, Getty Images/iStockphoto
Q: I receive Social Security disability benefits. I now have a second serious disability. Can my monthly benefit amount be increased?
A: No. Your Social Security disability benefit amount is based on the amount of your lifetime earnings before your disability began and not the number of disabling conditions or illnesses you may have. For more information, go to www.socialsecurity.gov/disability.
Q: Is there a time limit on how long I can collect Social Security disability benefits?
A: No. Your disability benefits will continue as long as your medical condition has not improved and you remain unable to work. Your case will be reviewed at regular intervals to determine whether you still are disabled. If you are receiving disability benefits when you reach full retirement age, we will automatically convert them to retirement benefits, without a change in your payment amount. For all your disability questions, read our publication Disability Benefits, available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2014, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- What it takes to be middle class in each state
- What could McDonald's do to fix its business?
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of...
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view of the...
- Renovation Solutions: Three renovation...
- Review: Getting your Apple Watch? Here's how...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of... 17
- Happiness research inspired one... 14
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 10
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,... 9
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 7
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 6
- Are you ready to start using a digital... 5
- How much money should you be saving... 4