BYU notebook: Jennifer Hamson moves up BYU's all-time scoring list with win over N.C. State
By scoring 12 points Saturday night, Jennifer Hamson moved into 11th place on BYU's career scoring list with 1,413 points. The 6-foot-7 senior needs just 14 points to reach 10th place.
Despite her success -- and despite being the daughter of former BYU basketball All American Tresa Spaulding -- Hamson saw little appeal in Dr. James Naismith's invention during her earliest years.
"Growing up, I didn't like basketball at all," Hamson said. "I kind of hated it. My mom let me be and let me do my own thing,"
But as a 14-year-old, Hamson's opinion began changing.
"In ninth grade, she introduced me to sports that were better for my height," Hamson said. "We bonded over basketball and she has helped me improve my game so much. It is so fun to have her around."
Hamson suffered a minor injury when she dislocated a finger on her left hand with 4:25 to play. But 59 seconds laser, she returned to the court.
"We popped it back in and I'm all good," said Hamson, who was icing the affected finger during the post-game press conference.
Having his team playing at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion revived some old memories for BYU coach Jeff Judkins.
"To be able to play on the same court as Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton....," mused Judkins. "I watched them in my young days and I played against them in the pros."
Alcindor later changed his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabaar and ended his professional career as the NBA's all-time leading scorer.
"I told the girls when we got here, 'You just don't realize how awesome this is to be able to play in this arena,'" Judkins said. "What tradition."
BYU and North Carolina State share more than just an NCAA tournament game. Morgan Bailey's uncle is former Jazz standout Thurl Bailey -- who played for the Wolfpack and led the team in scoring and rebounding when it won the 1983 NCAA championship.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 27