He praised April DeBoer and Jayne Rowse, two Detroit-area nurses who are raising three children with special needs. They filed a lawsuit in 2012 because they're barred from jointly adopting each other's children. Joint adoption is reserved for married heterosexual couples in Michigan.
"In attempting to define this case as a challenge to 'the will of the people,' state defendants lost sight of what this case is truly about: people," the judge said.
DeBoer and Rowse said Friday that they'll get married when the case ends, a process that could take years with appeals.
"We will be getting married — when we know that our marriage is forever binding," DeBoer said.
The 31-page decision was filed in Detroit's federal court when most county offices were closed and couldn't issue licenses.
Dave Murray, a spokesman for Republican Gov. Rick Snyder, said the state has an "obligation" to defend what voters chose a decade ago.
If a "court concludes the provision of the Michigan Constitution cannot be enforced, he'd respect those decisions and follow the rule of law," Murray said of Snyder.
While DeJong and Caspar were the first couple to receive a Michigan license, it was not the first same-sex wedding to occur in the state. Two men married a year ago during a ceremony at a northern Michigan Indian reservation after the tribal chairman approved a measure.
AP reporters Ed White, Jeff Karoub and Corey Williams reported from Detroit; Mike Householder in Ferndale, Mich.; and David Eggert in Lansing, Mich., contributed to this report.
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- 13 baby names that are making a comeback
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years
- The one thing you may be giving your children...
- Man describes find that could solve MH370...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Religious groups react to Boy... 79
- Boy Scout board approves end to blanket... 71
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Oklahoma Supreme Court: Ten... 27
- Obama: Republican criticism of Iran... 25
- Covered California: Cost of health care... 18
- Trump's call for mass deportations runs... 16