“My older brothers, they weren’t going to let me win in anything,” Stockton said. “If I went back crying to my mom (Nada), she’d say, ‘Well, you can’t play with the big boys.’ I didn’t want to do that, so it was either get tough or don’t play.”
As for his dad, John never coached him except for a spot session here or there.
“The biggest part of my growth as a player was just watching him,” David said.
Just as the elder Stockton found a way to flourish among studs, his son will soon end his college days knowing he carved out a niche, dishing the ideal entry, playing middleman on the break, divebombing drivers to ferret out the ball.
He has played mostly to applause, though there’s a debate among message-boarders about whether Few has mistakenly forsaken an athlete like Gerard Coleman for Stockton. Meanwhile, who knows what his dad, who declined to be interviewed for this story, thinks? He’s a perpetually stoic figure in the stands.
“It’s something I kind of get on him for,” David Stockton said a year ago. “Hey, we’re supposed to be this top place to play in the country. We need you to get up and start yelling, too.”
Maybe he’ll do that Friday, when the point guards in a game between No. 8 and No. 9 seeds will be Smart, and a guy who plays that way.
©2014 The Seattle Times
Visit The Seattle Times at www.seattletimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last year and...
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in on NFL...
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's...
- Samuel Benson: Whatever happened to the...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises BYU...
- The state of Utah's all-time NFL undrafted...
- Morning links: Utah's Devontae Booker a...
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed after...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises... 91
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 52
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 47
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 43
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's... 43
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last... 42
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of... 36
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in... 24