Scott's designs were "very (much) based on her own personal style ... a very interesting style that combined the strict and the sexy," said Valerie Steele, director of The Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York. "Not sexiness like body exposure, but sexiness like a very strict governess. They tended to be covered up yet form-fitting and beautifully constructed, beautifully made." Steele said Scott's clothes were "were more sophisticated than the average red carpet gown" and added that Scott "had a very precise vision of what she wanted them to look like."
Scott was adopted by Mormon parents and raised in Roy, Utah, which had a population of less than 10,000 at the time.
As a teenager, she developed a love of clothes and made her own on the sewing machine, according to biographical notes from London Fashion Week. She made her way to Paris after high school where, aided by her height and striking looks, she found work as a model for some prominent photographers.
But she became more interested in working with clothes than modeling them, and eventually made her name as a top stylist in Los Angeles and also a costume designer for films like "Ocean's 13."
Scott also designed a huge wardrobe for boyfriend Jagger to wear during the Rolling Stones' "50 and Counting" anniversary tour.
Among the stars who wore Scott's designs was actress Olivia Wilde.
"L'Wren Scott was brilliant, elegant, kind, and generous," Wilde wrote on Twitter. "What a tragedy."
Scott is survived by a brother, Randall Bambrough of Ogden, Utah, who declined comment.
Associated Press writers Mesfin Fekadu and Leanne Italie contributed to this report.
- Monkey bars alert: Playground concussions are...
- First US cruise in decades set to arrive in...
- Snyder expects expanded Medicaid coverage in...
- California raises legal age to buy tobacco...
- Panel: Painkiller training should be required...
- FDA brings e-cigarettes under federal authority
- Wal-Mart brings back greeters at the store door
- 2,000 LED-tagged pigeons stage show in NYC sky
- Sweeping FDA regulations take aim at... 14
- California raises legal age to buy... 12
- After more than 6 years, 3 families... 12
- 'Biggest Losers' show why we regain... 7
- The third leading cause of death in... 6
- Lousy parenting can be passed from one... 5
- Monkey bars alert: Playground... 4
- Crowdfund a divorce? Sites let you... 3