Funny Or Die, Associated Press
NEW YORK — President Barack Obama's appearance on the "Between Two Ferns" satirical online talk show this week has reached 15 million views — almost at Justin Bieber levels.
The website Funny or Die said Friday that Obama's interview with Zach Galifianakis, posted Tuesday, will likely beat Bieber's record of 17.8 million views for the show. The pop singer's appearance was posted in September.
The president's appearance to persuade young people to sign up for health insurance is a key moment for the Internet, much like Franklin Roosevelt's fireside chats were for radio and the Kennedy-Nixon debate for television, said Dick Glover, CEO of the comic website started by Will Ferrell.
"It truly validates that it is an incredibly valuable medium for the president," he said.
For his part, Obama told Ryan Seacrest in an interview that he figured he'd reached his target audience when his daughter Malia was excited that he'd done the interview when he told her at the dinner table. She's seen most of the "Between Two Ferns" posts, he said.
Galifianakis' act is to ask his guest hostile or inappropriate questions. But Obama said he seemed nervous at the White House taping.
"He was looking around at all the Secret Service guys with guns and thinking, 'I wonder what happens if I cross the line?'" the president said.
Obama will have a way to go to beat Funny or Die's record of 81 million views for a video posted in 2007, showing Ferrell being harassed by a pint-sized "landlord."
Now that Galifianakis has interviewed Obama, who's next on the "Between Two Ferns" wish list?
"(Russian President Vladimir) Putin is certainly up there," Glover said.
- Indiana man's confession leads to 7 bodies
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Students clean up after mayhem near pumpkin fest
- Wanted: Cities interested in hosting 2024...
- Virus expert sees 'silver lining' in Ebola...
- This type of high school can increase your...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social Security
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 19
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 17
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14