Social Security Q&A: Military retirement; IRA withdrawals
zimmytws, Getty Images/iStockphoto
Q: Will my military retirement affect my Social Security benefits?
A: No. You can get both Social Security benefits and military retirement. Generally, there is no offset of Social Security benefits because of your military retirement. You will get full benefits based on your earnings. The only way your Social Security benefit may be reduced is if you also receive a government pension based on a job in which you did not pay Social Security taxes. You can find more information in the publication Military Service and Social Security at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs. Or call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).
Q: I'm retired and the only income I have is a monthly withdrawal from an Individual Retirement Account, or IRA. Are the IRA withdrawals considered "earnings?" Could they reduce my monthly Social Security benefits?
A: No. We count only the wages you earn from a job or your net profit if you're self-employed. Non-work income such as pensions, annuities, investment income, interest, capital gains and other government benefits are not counted and will not affect your Social Security benefits. For more information, visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov or call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2014, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Job insecurity is the new normal. Here's how...
- How government policy created ghettos,...
- The best Christian workplaces in 2015
- Millennials still reluctant to move out, even...
- There's a bipartisan new approach to curbing...
- Is paying for extended warranties worth it?...
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't working for...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Job insecurity is the new normal.... 33
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't... 17
- How government policy created ghettos,... 12
- What consumers need to know about chip... 6
- Millennials still reluctant to move... 5
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for... 2
- Is paying for extended warranties worth... 2
- Most children in the world are happy,... 2