SEATTLE (AP) — Freshman Sydney Wiese and Oregon State made quick work of Utah on Friday night, jumping out to a 19-point halftime lead and finishing off the wire-to-wire win with a 50-35 victory in a quarterfinal of the Pac-12 Conference Tournament.
OSU will play No. 7 Washington State in the semifinals, which upended second-seeded California 91-83 on Friday.
Third-seeded Oregon State jumped out to a 4-0 lead and never trailed while earning a spot in Saturday night's semifinal against Washington State. Oregon State swept the Cougars with a pair of double-digit victories during the regular season.
Wiese scored 14 of her game-high 21 points before halftime, leading the Beavers (22-9) to a 32-13 advantage over the first 20 minutes. Oregon State held Utah to 5-for-35 shooting in the first half, including 1-for-11 from leading scorer Michelle Plouffe.
Plouffe, who scored 30 points in a win over Washington the previous night, finished with a team-high 11 points on 4-of-17 shooting.
"It was just putting the ball in the basket, and that didn't happen tonight," Plouffe said after the loss. "It's hard to win when you don't score."
Ruth Hamblin added six points, 15 rebounds and five blocked shots for Oregon State.
Three of Hamblin's blocks came early in the game, when Utah (12-19) was mired in a 2-for-21 shooting slump to open the game. For the night, the Utes shot only 21 percent from the field (13 of 62) and went 0 for 10 from 3-point range.
"Field-goal percentage is one of my favorite stats," OSU coach Scott Rueck said. "Well, I'll be honest: it's my favorite stat."
The win was Oregon State's 10th in a row, marking the school's longest streak since 1982-83.
"We're just trying to remain focused on our ultimate goal, which is the NCAA tournament," said Wiese, a 6-foot freshman from Arizona. "Obviously, you have to win games to get there. The past 10 games have been a lot of fun, especially getting the wins, and hopefully we can continue to get a lot more wins."
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- Brad Rock: Enes Kanter doesn't deserve the abuse
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive meltdown...
- High school basketball: Lone Peak, Murray,...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 126
- Utah's Devontae Booker reportedly... 72
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 45
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 37
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 36
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35