Southern Utah Athletics Department
CEDAR CITY — Trey Kennedy scored 16 points to lead a balanced offense as Southern Utah snapped a 26-game losing streak and earned its first conference win, 77-71 over North Dakota Thursday.
Cal Hanks and Juwan Major both scored 13, and Casey Oliverson added 11 for Southern Utah (2-26, 1-18 Big Sky). It was the first Division I win of the season for the Thunderbirds, and first victory since topping Arizona Christian on Nov 8.
Southern Utah led 32-28 at half and stretched the advantage to 61-45 with 6:17 left before a North Dakota rally.
North Dakota used a 26-12 run to cut the lead to 73-71 after Jamal Webb's basket with less than 30 seconds to go. But Race Parsons responded with a layup and added two late free throws as the Thunderbirds prevailed.
Webb led North Dakota (15-15, 12-8) with 18 points while Aaron Anderson had 14 and Jaron Nash 12.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30