Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell touts his conservatism at CPAC
Susan Walsh, Associated Press
OXON HILL, Md. — Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell is joining with conservative favorite Tom Coburn of Oklahoma at an annual conservative conference.
The Kentucky senator walked onstage at the Conservative Political Action Conference holding a rifle, which he presented to Coburn.
McConnell says President Barack Obama has treated the U.S. Constitution, quote, "worse than a place mat at Denny's." He says the rich have gotten richer and the poor have gotten poorer under Obama, and a Republican-controlled Senate would help restore economic prosperity.
McConnell is facing a primary challenge from a conservative tea party candidate, and Democrats view him as one of the most vulnerable GOP senators.
Republicans need to pick up six seats to win back Senate control.
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- 10 years on, where did all the tsunami debris...
- Killings of 2 New York officers trigger backlash
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 33
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 18
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 17
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 13
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8