Jacquelyn Martin, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is announcing the creation of two Pentagon-led institutes, using public and private resources, to boost advanced manufacturing, help create jobs and perhaps build the next "Iron Man."
One center will be in Obama's hometown of Chicago, concentrating on high-tech digital manufacturing and design.
The other will be located in Canton, Mich., near Detroit, and specialize in light metal manufacturing.
Obama says the hubs will keep America at the cutting edge of technology and innovation. He says that will help ensure the steady creation of good-paying jobs in advanced manufacturing that will help expand the middle class.
The institutes fulfill a 2013 promise by Obama to create three manufacturing hubs with a federal infusion of $200 million.
The third hub is an Energy Department-led project in Raleigh, N.C.
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance primed...
- Balancing act: To keep employees, focus on...
- Warehouse clubs: Where to find the savings
- AAA Center opens call center in Clearfield,...
- Rocky Mountain Power honors LDS Church for...
- Dave Ramsey says: Charging off a debt doesn't...
- 4 signs you need to quit your job to advance...
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance... 20
- Ogden farmer's pumpkin patch, version... 10
- Warehouse clubs: Where to find the savings 8
- Rocky Mountain Power honors LDS Church... 5
- A multigenerational hit: Student debt... 3
- Balancing act: To keep employees, focus... 2
- AAA Center opens call center in... 2
- Top economies move toward crackdown on... 1