Jacquelyn Martin, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is announcing the creation of two Pentagon-led institutes, using public and private resources, to boost advanced manufacturing, help create jobs and perhaps build the next "Iron Man."
One center will be in Obama's hometown of Chicago, concentrating on high-tech digital manufacturing and design.
The other will be located in Canton, Mich., near Detroit, and specialize in light metal manufacturing.
Obama says the hubs will keep America at the cutting edge of technology and innovation. He says that will help ensure the steady creation of good-paying jobs in advanced manufacturing that will help expand the middle class.
The institutes fulfill a 2013 promise by Obama to create three manufacturing hubs with a federal infusion of $200 million.
The third hub is an Energy Department-led project in Raleigh, N.C.
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Are you part of the global 'baby shortage'?
- What's in a name? At Grand Canyon, history,...
- Nintendo opens 2015 with some big announcements
- Another study lists Salt Lake as one of the...
- Kimberly Rotter: 7 weird things that affect...
- Randy Shumway: The winners and losers of...
- Faith leaders: your secret weapon in the...
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Analysis: Obama seizes on recovery,... 17
- Obama's proposed mandatory paid... 13
- Utah has fourth largest gender wage... 12
- Are you part of the global 'baby... 11
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 11
- Another study lists Salt Lake as one of... 10
- Survey ranks Utah's best and worst... 9