Bradley C. Bower, Associated Press
Q: I didn’t enroll in Medicare Part B back when my Part A started a few years ago. Can I enroll now?
A: Yes — but if you want to do it this year, you’ll have to act soon. The general enrollment period for Medicare Part B, medical insurance, began January 1 and runs through March 31. Keep in mind that although there is no monthly premium for Medicare Part A, there will be a premium for your Medicare Part B. And in most cases, that premium goes up each 12-month period you were eligible for it and elected not to enroll. To find out more about Medicare, visit www.medicare.gov or www.socialsecurity.gov and select the “Medicare” link.
Q: Will my Medicare coverage change because of the Affordable Care Act?
A: No, not at all. People who have Medicare coverage are not affected by the Affordable Care Act. Medicare is not a part of the Affordable Care Act’s Health Insurance Marketplace. If you are a Medicare beneficiary, your Medicare benefits are not changing. You do not need to replace your Medicare coverage with Marketplace coverage. For more information about the Marketplace, visit www.healthcare.gov. For more information about Medicare Parts A, B, C, and D, visit www.medicare.gov. Or read our publication on Medicare at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2014, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- 15 jobs that are safe from the robot takeover
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- 6 financial moves to prevent sleepless nights
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid covering the...
- 10 things that are wicked attractive about...
- Cantwell targets small business loan gender gap
- 11 family friendly cars
- 10 things to know about corporate... 24
- How to eat on just $4 a day 16
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 12
- California push to avert higher gas... 10
- Mimicking the airlines, hotels get... 9
- Burger King in talks to buy Tim Hortons 8
- Cantwell targets small business loan... 3
- It's about time the government... 3