Bradley C. Bower, Associated Press
Q: I didn’t enroll in Medicare Part B back when my Part A started a few years ago. Can I enroll now?
A: Yes — but if you want to do it this year, you’ll have to act soon. The general enrollment period for Medicare Part B, medical insurance, began January 1 and runs through March 31. Keep in mind that although there is no monthly premium for Medicare Part A, there will be a premium for your Medicare Part B. And in most cases, that premium goes up each 12-month period you were eligible for it and elected not to enroll. To find out more about Medicare, visit www.medicare.gov or www.socialsecurity.gov and select the “Medicare” link.
Q: Will my Medicare coverage change because of the Affordable Care Act?
A: No, not at all. People who have Medicare coverage are not affected by the Affordable Care Act. Medicare is not a part of the Affordable Care Act’s Health Insurance Marketplace. If you are a Medicare beneficiary, your Medicare benefits are not changing. You do not need to replace your Medicare coverage with Marketplace coverage. For more information about the Marketplace, visit www.healthcare.gov. For more information about Medicare Parts A, B, C, and D, visit www.medicare.gov. Or read our publication on Medicare at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2014, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- It just became easier to be a mother in the Navy
- Here's an odd way to make it through college...
- The average Joe only works 4.5 hours a day....
- Greek villagers' secret weapon: Grow your own...
- What's next, as Greece stumbles toward euro exit
- Job market's new normal: Smaller workforce,...
- Dave Ramsey says: Dave Ramsey: Handle money...
- Dave Ramsey says: 3 traps to avoid after...
- Here's an odd way to make it through... 15
- Job market's new normal: Smaller... 8
- The average Joe only works 4.5 hours a... 4
- Greek villagers' secret weapon: Grow... 3
- What's next, as Greece stumbles toward... 3
- Greek PM Tsipras races to restart talks... 1
- It just became easier to be a mother in... 1