CEDAR CITY — Gary Winston scored a career-high 26 points and Portland State survived a late scare from Southern Utah on Thursday night holding on for an 86-79 win.
Portland State (12-12, 7-8 Big Sky) couldn't shake the Thunderbirds in the second half after posting a slim 3-point, 29-26 halftime lead. The teams traded leads in the second period with no team pulling ahead by more than five points.
Southern Utah (1-23, 0-15) led 75-76 on two Casey Oliverson free throws with 1:25 remaining, but Winston's ensuing tip-in and Brandon Cataldo's follow-up jumper closed the door on the Thunderbirds hope of picking up a lone win in the conference. The Vikings finished making 7-of-8 free throws going into the buzzer.
DaShaun Wiggins recorded 19 points and Andre Winston, Jr. 13 for the Portland.
Oliverson finished with 10 rebounds while he and Trey Kennedy scored 19 points each for Southern Utah.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19