NEW YORK — The troubled tenure of Jorge Vergara and Angelica Fuentes as owners of Chivas USA has ended with Major League Soccer purchasing the team.
MLS said Thursday it had assumed operation of the team, which had the second-worst record in the league last year at 6-20-8 and averaged a league-low 8,366 at home.
Vergara and Fuentes have controlled Chivas Guadalajara since 2002 and had a 50 percent in Chivas USA when it was created in 2004 and started play the following year. The pair took operating control of Chivas USA in August 2012 when they bought out former partners Antonio and Lorenzo Cue, who had been running the team.
MLS said Wilmer Cabrera, hired as coach on Jan. 9, will remain on the job.
The league said it will sell the team to an ownership group committed to keeping the team in the Los Angeles area but also intending to build a new stadium. Chivas USA shares the StubHub Center with the Los Angeles Galaxy.
The team will use the Chivas USA name this year, then will get a new name and logo along with new owners.
"When Angelica and I gained full operational control of the team for the first time 15 months ago, we were hopeful we would be able to turn it around," Vergara said in a statement. "However, there is only one Chivas de Guadalajara, and we have realized that it will require more time, further resources, and a level of commitment that would divert too much of our focus from our other business interests."
Two former Chivas USA youth coaches, Daniel Calichman and Theothoros Chronopoulos, filed a discrimination lawsuit against the team last May in Los Angeles County Superior Court, claiming they were fired because they aren't Mexican or Latino. Chivas USA declined comment at the time.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18