How to stay emotionally connected to your spouse after having children
Break out the wedding videos and photos and take a trip alone together yearly.
The wedding videos and photos: Theres nothing quite like going back and re-living your special day to remind you of why you got married in the first place. We love to watch our wedding video on our anniversary. This year will be our 19th, and my favorite part of the video is when I ask our future children how we look now. (I guarantee its not the same, but thats what makes it so fun!)
The trip alone together: As I mentioned before, we had a really lean decade when we were short on both time and money and not only neglected date night but trips alone together. Honestly, I think we could and should have tried to at least go to a local hotel for even one or two nights just to be alone together. We needed it so desperately during those years. (Please hear this, young and broke parents of babies and small children!) Now that we have more funds and older kids, this is one of our top priorities every year and worth whatever hassle it takes to make it work. (And it is a considerable hassle to get someone to take over the complicated ins and outs of our busy household!) In fact, tomorrow we will be on a plane for the California Coast. I can hardly wait.
QUESTION: How do you stay connected to your spouse all year long amid crazy family life?
CHALLENGE: Pick one idea listed above (or come up with something that fits you and your spouse better) and commit to do it!
This article is courtesy of Power of Moms, an online gathering place for deliberate mothers.
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- The Clean Cut: Toddler can't help but run to...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over faith;...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Stuart Edge, Alex Boye, other Utah artists...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over... 22
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 17
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 7
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6