TYCE BARNEY, Panguitch, basketball: This senior is closing in on some pretty elite company.
Spurred on by a career-high 41 points in a win over Escalante last week, and 19 more in another victory over Valley, Barney upped his career points total to 1,791.
With potentially nine more games for Panguitch, if Barney maintains his 25.0 scoring average hell surpass 2,000 career points. Only five players in state history have surpassed 2,000 points, and hed need to finish with 2,033 points to crack the top five.
Tyce has a great attitude and works extremely hard in practice. His play and leadership has helped his team post a 15-1 mark thus far this season, said Panguitch coach Clint Barney.
Recently named to the 1A Academic All-State team, Barney is averaging 8.8 rebounds and 3.3 steals. Hes been named a Deseret News first team all-stater the past two seasons.
BLAIR BLISS, Desert Hills, girls basketball: The Thunder are perfect against 3A competition this season and has suffered just one loss total.
Last week, Desert Hills continued its Region 9 dominance with two easy victories one by 39 points and the other by 25 points to wrap up league play. And all along, the Thunder has received major contributions from Bliss, a 5-foot-8 senior who fills the stat line night in and night out.
In her teams final two regular season games, Bliss recorded 13 points one night and then a 17-point, 11-rebound double-double with five assists and five steals the next. She is averaging 12.50 points, 4.9 rebounds, 5.55 assists, and 3.82 steals per game on the season, statistics that not only lead her team but are also on the 3A and statewide leaderboards.
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 109
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 70
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 67
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36