TYCE BARNEY, Panguitch, basketball: This senior is closing in on some pretty elite company.
Spurred on by a career-high 41 points in a win over Escalante last week, and 19 more in another victory over Valley, Barney upped his career points total to 1,791.
With potentially nine more games for Panguitch, if Barney maintains his 25.0 scoring average hell surpass 2,000 career points. Only five players in state history have surpassed 2,000 points, and hed need to finish with 2,033 points to crack the top five.
Tyce has a great attitude and works extremely hard in practice. His play and leadership has helped his team post a 15-1 mark thus far this season, said Panguitch coach Clint Barney.
Recently named to the 1A Academic All-State team, Barney is averaging 8.8 rebounds and 3.3 steals. Hes been named a Deseret News first team all-stater the past two seasons.
BLAIR BLISS, Desert Hills, girls basketball: The Thunder are perfect against 3A competition this season and has suffered just one loss total.
Last week, Desert Hills continued its Region 9 dominance with two easy victories one by 39 points and the other by 25 points to wrap up league play. And all along, the Thunder has received major contributions from Bliss, a 5-foot-8 senior who fills the stat line night in and night out.
In her teams final two regular season games, Bliss recorded 13 points one night and then a 17-point, 11-rebound double-double with five assists and five steals the next. She is averaging 12.50 points, 4.9 rebounds, 5.55 assists, and 3.82 steals per game on the season, statistics that not only lead her team but are also on the 3A and statewide leaderboards.
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- 4A boys basketball tournament quarterfinal...
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest for...
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- High school boys basketball: Viewmont's...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 87
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 80
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 53
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 42
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 28