FILE, Associated Press
SAUGERTIES, N.Y. — Puppeteer John Henson, the son of the late Muppets creator Jim Henson, has died in New York. He was 48.
Cheryl Henson says her brother died of a "massive heart attack" at his home in Saugerties on Friday. She says it happened after he had been building an igloo in the snow with his daughter.
Henson followed in his famous father's footsteps as a puppeteer, performing as Sweetums the ogre in several films, including "Muppet Treasure Island" and "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie."
Cheryl said her brother also made appearances in the original Coca-Cola Polar Bear suit. She described him as an "artist who also loved working the land."
Henson was a shareholder and board member of The Jim Henson Company.
Henson leaves behind his wife Gyongyi and two daughters, ages 10 and 15. A private funeral service is planned.
- Fans go wild over 88-second 'Star Wars'...
- In Ferguson, mundane choices led to tragedy
- Evangelicals with gay children challenging...
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- New York boys buried in snow pile for 7 hours...
- BLACK FRIDAY LIVE: Protests, beer and prison
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Official Christmas tree arrives at White House
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 71
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Evangelicals with gay children... 28
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12
- Attorney General Eric Holder:... 11