CEDAR CITY — Chris Hansen scored 22 points and Idaho State handed Southern Utah its 22nd straight loss, 75-65, on Saturday night.
Tomas Sanchez made 12 of 13 free throws in adding 14 points while Andrew Hatchett scored 16.
The Bengals (9-13, 6-7 Big Sky) made 27 of 38 free throws, twice as many attempts than Southern Utah (1-22, 0-14), including 21 of 29 in the second half.
The Thunderbirds led by a point at halftime and were up three with 17:14 left in the game. ISU took the lead for good with 16 minutes remaining. The Thunderbirds stayed close until an 11-0 run by ISU left the Bengals up 60-48 with 5 minutes left. SUU only got as close as six after that.
A.J. Hess scored 14 points and Race Parsons and Jaren Jeffery 12 each for SUU.
SUU is one of the nation's youngest teams with 10 combined seasons of collegiate experience coming into the season.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- Rock On: Just wondering, is Ayesha's cooking...
- Dick Harmon: Daniel Summerhays' U.S. Open...
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021
- Former BYU volleyball coach Tom Peterson...
- Morning links: MJ vs. Jazz still holds...
- ESPN NBA draft expert Chad Ford is also a...
- BYU football receives commitment from Olympus...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 67
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 42
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 17
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Former University of Utah forward... 11
- Will ex-Ute Poeltl hit the jackpot as a... 10