Susan Walsh, ASSOCIATED PRESS
RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. — President Barack Obama has signed separate measures lifting the federal debt limit and restoring full cost of living benefits for military retirees.
Obama signed the bills into law Saturday during a weekend golf vacation in Southern California.
The debt limit measure frees the government to borrow the money it needs to pay bills, such as Social Security benefits.
Failure to pass it most likely would have sent the stock market into a dive.
Separate legislation passed in December would have held annual cost of living increases for certain veterans to 1 percentage point below the rate of inflation. The measure was an attempt to hold the line on the soaring costs of government benefit programs. Veterans groups and some lawmakers said cutting the benefits was a mistake.
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- US tobacco growers brace for tougher competition
- School police stock up on free military gear
- Catholic leaders' deliberations over divorce...
- Top 15 states for education
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 10
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 9
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 6