Susan Walsh, ASSOCIATED PRESS
RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. — President Barack Obama has signed separate measures lifting the federal debt limit and restoring full cost of living benefits for military retirees.
Obama signed the bills into law Saturday during a weekend golf vacation in Southern California.
The debt limit measure frees the government to borrow the money it needs to pay bills, such as Social Security benefits.
Failure to pass it most likely would have sent the stock market into a dive.
Separate legislation passed in December would have held annual cost of living increases for certain veterans to 1 percentage point below the rate of inflation. The measure was an attempt to hold the line on the soaring costs of government benefit programs. Veterans groups and some lawmakers said cutting the benefits was a mistake.
- Virus expert sees 'silver lining' in Ebola...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Indiana man's confession leads to 7 bodies
- Wanted: Cities interested in hosting 2024...
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- This type of high school can increase your...
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social Security
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 32
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 22
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 22
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 20
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14