Can a secular writer understand believers? A New York Times columnist has doubts
How clearly do nonbelievers see believers? That's a question posed by New York Times columnist and blogger Ross Douthat in the wake of a discussion of atheism and belief by New Yorker magazine writer Adam Gopnik.
While Douthat, a Christian, said he expected to be "pained" by Gopnik's portrayal of believers, "I didnt expect to be quite so puzzled by his depiction of contemporary belief." Gopnik tries to offer a "sympathetic" view of theism, Douthat said, but ends up presenting, in Douthat's view, "a peculiar and telling misreading of what theists actually believe."
Douthat writes, "That misreading follows from the fairly stark distinction that Gopnik tries to establish between the God of popular belief — the God of miracles and commandments, signs and wonders, heaven and hell — and the God of more intellectually-minded modern believers."
Instead, Douthat attempts to show that theists can thread the needle and develop a refined view of God: "Gopniks failure to grasp that fairly elementary point — that the possible conceptions of God are not exhausted by the lightning-hurling sky-god and the mostly-irrelevant chairman of the board — suggests, not for the [first] time, how little they know of religion who mostly secularism know," he concludes.
- LDS First Presidency calls 8 new MTC presidents
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- The Piano Guys perform 'Silent Night' at New...
- Lindsey Stirling, Alex Boye, others to...
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior Is Born'...
- New Joseph Smith Papers volume provides...
- All Blacks perform haka tribute for deceased...
- The effect of having a widow's mite of faith
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates... 17
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- A lesson a little girl learned while... 4
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior Is Born'... 4
- The effect of having a widow's mite of... 2
- Pope Francis brings peace message to... 1
- Book review: 'Understanding the... 1
- LDS World: Learning to recognize God's... 1