2 US troops killed, 4 wounded in apparent insider attack in Afghanistan
Massoud Hossaini, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — Two U.S. soldiers were killed and four wounded in an attack Wednesday by gunmen wearing Afghan security force uniforms in eastern Afghanistan, U.S. defense officials said.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss details of the attack, which is the latest in a string of incidents in which Afghan troops turned their weapons on their supposed allies.
The officials said four Afghans involved in the attack were killed in the ensuing battle.
The frequency of these insider attacks has declined markedly in recent months. At the height of the problem, in 2012, U.S. and coalition troops were more often fighting and training alongside their Afghan partners; the relationship evolved last year with the Afghans taking a lead combat role. That has put the Americans and other coalition troops in a less visible position as advisers.
The exact circumstances of Wednesday's incident were not immediately available. Two officials said it happened in Kapisa province, east of Kabul.
The international coalition said in a brief written statement in Kabul that two members of the international military coalition were shot to death by two gunmen wearing Afghan uniforms, but it did not provide the nationalities of the dead. Nor did it disclose that a number had been wounded.
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- Ex-stepson: White House intruder meant no harm
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe over...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 8
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 7
- It's not just young people —... 7