Mark Lennihan, Associated Press
NEW YORK — U.S. stocks edged mostly higher on Wednesday, extending the market's longest rally this year. Stocks jumped a day earlier after Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen said she would continue the central bank's market-friendly, low-interest rate policies.
KEEPING SCORE: The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose one point, or 0.1 percent, to 1,821 as of 10:30 a.m. Eastern Time. The Dow Jones industrial average was down six points, or less than 0.1 percent, at 15,988. The Nasdaq composite rose 12 points, or 0.6 percent, to 4,203.
ONE TO WATCH: Fossil jumped $7.85, or 6.7 percent, to $124.81 after the watch and accessories company posted earnings that topped Wall Street expectations for the quarter and issued a strong financial outlook for the year.
HEALTHY PROFIT: DaVita HealthCare Partners jumped $3.80, or 5.9 percent, to $68.13, a day after the kidney dialysis provider said it reached an agreement to resolve a government investigation and reported fourth-quarter income that soared 36 percent and topped analyst expectations.
CHINA TRADE: The stock market also got some support from economic data out of China. Trade growth in the Chinese economy accelerated in January. Fears about a slowdown in the world's second-largest economy roiled stock markets in January.
"It's reassuring that we're not seeing another sign of weakness for China's economic growth," said Kate Warne, an investment strategist at Edward Jones, an investment adviser.
THE RALLY: The stock market appears to have put its concerns about slowing growth in emerging markets behind it for now. The S&P 500 index has risen for four straight days.
TREASURYS AND COMMODITIES: The yield on the 10-year Treasury note climbed to 2.76 percent from 2.73 percent on Tuesday. Oil rose 94 cents, or 1 percent, to $100.92 a barrel. The price of gold rose $5.20, or 0.4 percent, to $1,295 an ounce.
- RC Willey opens new store at University Place...
- Happiness research inspired one business...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters Utah's...
- Did you file your taxes jointly or...
- April 15 may be Tax Day, but Tax Freedom Day...
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could more than...
- Where does 'cool' come from?
- EnergySolutions shouldn't store uranium...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- Are you rich or poor? The answer may be... 21
- Fight for $15 protests expand for... 20
- Minority of taxpayers pay majority of... 20
- EnergySolutions shouldn't store uranium... 7
- Gas prices in Utah climb 15 cents above... 5
- Contact lens makers sue Utah over... 4