JORDAN EVANS, Bingham, boys basketball: Its already difficult to score 20 points in a rivalry game with major playoff implications on the line, but to do so with a soft cast protecting a broken hand? Now thats impressive.
Evans did exactly that.
In his first game back since breaking a bone in his right hand, Evans scored only two points in the first half in Binghams 63-50 win over Copper Hills on Friday. However, he quickly acclimated and scored 18 of his game-high 20 points in the second half, including 15 in the fourth quarter alone.
To be honest, I didnt know if I was going to play him because in practice he was really tentative, Bingham coach Jake Schroeder told Deseret News reporter James Edward.
The decision paid dividends, and with the win the Miners moved into second place in Region 3. Evans is now averaging 14.1 points per game along with 4.4 rebounds with four games remaining in the regular season.
KAILIE QUINN, Judge Memorial, girls basketball: Quinn led her team to two crucial wins last week, including a 58-42 victory over Bountiful to move into a tie at the top of Region 6 with the Braves.
In the first game of the week against Woods Cross, Quinn filled the stat line with 14 points, 20 rebounds, seven assists and five steals. Three days later, she had another double-double with 18 points (including four 3-pointers) and 14 boards along with four assists and six steals.
The 5-foot-9 senior is leading the entire state in scoring, with an average of 20.6 points per game; 3-pointers, with 3.6 makes per game; and rebounds, with 14 boards per games. Add to that 5.3 assists and 4.9 steals per game, and it is clear how the Bulldogs are holding their own in their new 4A surroundings.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Believe it or not: QB Travis Wilson is set to...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 66
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 24
- Utes get it done at home again 21