BAGHDAD — Iraqi officials say militants accidentally set off their own car bomb at a training camp north of Baghdad, leaving 21 of their number dead.
Police officer said the militants were attending a lesson Monday on making car bombs and explosive belts at the camp near the town of Samarra when a glitch set off one of the devices.
The officer said security forces rushed to the area after hearing the sound of the explosion, arresting 12 of the wounded plus another 10 suspected militants trying to flee the area.
Medical officials confirmed the casualties. All officials spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to speak to media.
Violence has spiked in Iraq since April of last year. Militant groups regularly stage coordinated car bomb attacks in the capital.
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says violated its...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back waterboarding
- They put the giving in Thanksgiving
- Minneapolis police say 5 shot near protest scene
- Suicide vest found in Paris raises possible...
- Officer charged with murder in teen's death;...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 41
- Trump says he saw people celebrating... 38
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 28
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 25
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes... 15
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says... 13
- New school lunch regulations could turn... 12