FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Kris Yanku converted eight straight free throws in the final two minutes as Northern Arizona held off Southern Utah, 64-57 Saturday night.
Trey Kennedy's layup with 5:13 left pulled the Thunderbirds, winless in Big Sky Conference play, even at 49-49, but Northern Arizona (10-13, 7-5 Big Sky) closed with a 15-8 run to earn the victory.
Quinton Upsher scored 20 points and Aaseem Dixon added another 16 for the Lumberjacks, and Gaellan Bewernick grabbed a season-high 12 rebounds, topping his record 11 boards set at Texas-San Antonio in November.
The Lumberjacks outrebounded Southern Utah 35-26 and pulled down 11 offensive rebounds.
Northern Arizona now leads the all-time series with Southern Utah, 15-10 and is 11-3 in games played at Flagstaff.
John Marshall scored 10 points for Southern Utah (1-19, 0-11), but was the only Thunderbird to reach double-figure scoring.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 29
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 28
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24