FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Kris Yanku converted eight straight free throws in the final two minutes as Northern Arizona held off Southern Utah, 64-57 Saturday night.
Trey Kennedy's layup with 5:13 left pulled the Thunderbirds, winless in Big Sky Conference play, even at 49-49, but Northern Arizona (10-13, 7-5 Big Sky) closed with a 15-8 run to earn the victory.
Quinton Upsher scored 20 points and Aaseem Dixon added another 16 for the Lumberjacks, and Gaellan Bewernick grabbed a season-high 12 rebounds, topping his record 11 boards set at Texas-San Antonio in November.
The Lumberjacks outrebounded Southern Utah 35-26 and pulled down 11 offensive rebounds.
Northern Arizona now leads the all-time series with Southern Utah, 15-10 and is 11-3 in games played at Flagstaff.
John Marshall scored 10 points for Southern Utah (1-19, 0-11), but was the only Thunderbird to reach double-figure scoring.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35