FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Kris Yanku converted eight straight free throws in the final two minutes as Northern Arizona held off Southern Utah, 64-57 Saturday night.
Trey Kennedy's layup with 5:13 left pulled the Thunderbirds, winless in Big Sky Conference play, even at 49-49, but Northern Arizona (10-13, 7-5 Big Sky) closed with a 15-8 run to earn the victory.
Quinton Upsher scored 20 points and Aaseem Dixon added another 16 for the Lumberjacks, and Gaellan Bewernick grabbed a season-high 12 rebounds, topping his record 11 boards set at Texas-San Antonio in November.
The Lumberjacks outrebounded Southern Utah 35-26 and pulled down 11 offensive rebounds.
Northern Arizona now leads the all-time series with Southern Utah, 15-10 and is 11-3 in games played at Flagstaff.
John Marshall scored 10 points for Southern Utah (1-19, 0-11), but was the only Thunderbird to reach double-figure scoring.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 115
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 49
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 46
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45