FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Kris Yanku converted eight straight free throws in the final two minutes as Northern Arizona held off Southern Utah, 64-57 Saturday night.
Trey Kennedy's layup with 5:13 left pulled the Thunderbirds, winless in Big Sky Conference play, even at 49-49, but Northern Arizona (10-13, 7-5 Big Sky) closed with a 15-8 run to earn the victory.
Quinton Upsher scored 20 points and Aaseem Dixon added another 16 for the Lumberjacks, and Gaellan Bewernick grabbed a season-high 12 rebounds, topping his record 11 boards set at Texas-San Antonio in November.
The Lumberjacks outrebounded Southern Utah 35-26 and pulled down 11 offensive rebounds.
Northern Arizona now leads the all-time series with Southern Utah, 15-10 and is 11-3 in games played at Flagstaff.
John Marshall scored 10 points for Southern Utah (1-19, 0-11), but was the only Thunderbird to reach double-figure scoring.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16