Matt Gade, Deseret News
MAT MEANS, Hillcrest, boys basketball: Led Hillcrest to a pair of important victories last week in its pursuit of a playoff berth.
Tuesday in an 81-70 win over Cottonwood, the senior knocked down six 3-pointers and finished with 32 points. Three nights later he scored 26 points in a 68-56 win over Granger.
Mat has been a leader on and off the court. He has put in the time during the offseason to maximize his potential, said coach Sam Richins. Mat is always the last one to leave the gym every day after practice. It is exciting to see all of his time and effort pay off.
With five games remaining in the regular season, Means is averaging 16.0 points, 1.8 rebounds and 2.4 steals.
Above everything else, Mat is a great young man. His coaches and teammates love to be around him, said Richins.
JESSICA MATHESON, Granger, girls basketball: Just a junior, Matheson is leading 5A in three different statistical categories with 321 total points, 5.6 assists per game, and 4.7 steals per game.
She is one of those players, you look at her and you wouldnt see a basketball player, said Granger head coach Aaron Cousins. You wouldnt see athlete, but the girl understand basketball. She understands nuances, she reads things. Shell see things before they happen and go do it.
Mathesons basketball IQ has led the Lancers to 13 wins so far this season and Granger is currently tied with Cottonwood atop the Region 2 standings. In her 17 games this season, Matheson has not scored fewer than 12 points, including a season-best 30 points against Uintah in January. She recorded 10 assists in an overtime win over Box Elder and nine steals in a December game against Ben Lomond.
Jessica would rather go out and get 12 assists than score 24 points, Cousins said. In fact, her game gets better when shes passing the ball.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Peavler: 3 is a magic number for BYU after...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 111
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 71
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45