Key Super Bowl Play: Malcolm Smith returns Peyton Manning's INT for TD
Chris O'Meara, Associated Press
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — The Denver Broncos, so fortunate to be down only two scores, finally rediscovered their offensive rhythm and seemed on the verge of getting back in the Super Bowl.
Instead, it was the Seattle defense scoring, and the Seahawks pulling away.
Down 15-0 with more than 5 minutes left in the first half Sunday, Peyton Manning had driven Denver 52 yards to the Seattle 32. But on first down, offensive lineman Zane Beadles was penalized for tripping, and it got worse from there. On third-and-13, the Seahawks rushed four, but two linemen got to Manning.
Chris Clemons was about to slam into the quarterback from behind, but Cliff Avril had already reached him after beating tackle Orlando Franklin. Avril struck Manning's arm as he was releasing the ball, and it wobbled through the air.
Malcolm Smith was easily able to step in front of Knowshon Moreno for the interception. At 6-feet, 226 pounds, the linebacker outran the Broncos for a 69-yard return for a touchdown.
It was the longest since Tracy Porter's 74-yarder late in the fourth quarter four years ago to clinch the Super Bowl title for the New Orleans Saints against the Indianapolis Colts. The quarterback he picked off? Manning.
This year's game was over much sooner.
Smith dunked the ball over the upright in celebration, and Seattle led 22-0 with 3:21 left in the half.
Manning could only shake his head on the sideline.
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars looking...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 182
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 51
- ACC media days has some interesting... 38
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 32