“We feel like we are physical and can handle the guys up front.”
Another antithesis to the modern game is at work; teams that run the ball are not supposed to have the kind of success of teams who throw it well. Seattle, with the enigmatic Marshawn Lynch gaining 1,257 yards, had the fourth-best running team in the NFL and ranked 26th passing.
Besides the fact the Broncos had the No. 1 passing game and Manning set an NFL record with 55 touchdown passes, Moreno was the fourth-leading rusher in the AFC and the Broncos have rushed for 240 yards in their two playoff games.
“If you look at what the Broncos did throughout the playoffs, they ran the ball,” McDaniel said.
“There is a lot of talk around their passing game because of Peyton Manning himself. To be a good, dominant offense, you are going to have to run the ball. I am definitely prepared to stop the run.”
Unlike the Steelers, who famously try to disguise what they are doing and play such a complicated scheme that rookies rarely crack it, Seattle’s is rather simple, which may be why so many youngsters can play in it.
That won’t change Sunday, said outspoken cornerback Richard Sherman.
“We don’t vary or disguise coverage for anybody. We play a pretty simple defense. For the most part, you know what we’re going to do every play, and you’ve got to line up and play it.”
It works. Seattle led the NFL with 39 takeaways or forced turnovers in 2013 — 28 interceptions and 11 fumble recoveries. By comparison, the Steelers had barely half that total, 20, tied for fifth from the bottom of the league.
“The Legion of Boom is a legacy!” Sherman proclaimed. “It’s a group, it’s a legion, it’s a vast army of individuals and we have countless bodies behind us that are more than capable of doing the job.”
That final lab test comes on Sunday
©2014 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Visit the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette at www.post-gazette.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
PHOTOS (from MCT Photo Service, 202-383-6099):
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28