“We feel like we are physical and can handle the guys up front.”
Another antithesis to the modern game is at work; teams that run the ball are not supposed to have the kind of success of teams who throw it well. Seattle, with the enigmatic Marshawn Lynch gaining 1,257 yards, had the fourth-best running team in the NFL and ranked 26th passing.
Besides the fact the Broncos had the No. 1 passing game and Manning set an NFL record with 55 touchdown passes, Moreno was the fourth-leading rusher in the AFC and the Broncos have rushed for 240 yards in their two playoff games.
“If you look at what the Broncos did throughout the playoffs, they ran the ball,” McDaniel said.
“There is a lot of talk around their passing game because of Peyton Manning himself. To be a good, dominant offense, you are going to have to run the ball. I am definitely prepared to stop the run.”
Unlike the Steelers, who famously try to disguise what they are doing and play such a complicated scheme that rookies rarely crack it, Seattle’s is rather simple, which may be why so many youngsters can play in it.
That won’t change Sunday, said outspoken cornerback Richard Sherman.
“We don’t vary or disguise coverage for anybody. We play a pretty simple defense. For the most part, you know what we’re going to do every play, and you’ve got to line up and play it.”
It works. Seattle led the NFL with 39 takeaways or forced turnovers in 2013 — 28 interceptions and 11 fumble recoveries. By comparison, the Steelers had barely half that total, 20, tied for fifth from the bottom of the league.
“The Legion of Boom is a legacy!” Sherman proclaimed. “It’s a group, it’s a legion, it’s a vast army of individuals and we have countless bodies behind us that are more than capable of doing the job.”
That final lab test comes on Sunday
©2014 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Visit the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette at www.post-gazette.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
PHOTOS (from MCT Photo Service, 202-383-6099):
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 48
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25