NEW YORK — Mint chocolate toothpaste?
Procter & Gamble said Tuesday it is launching a line of Crest toothpastes called "Be" that featuring nontraditional flavors including Mint Chocolate Trek, Vanilla Mint Spark and Lime Spearmint Zest.
The new line comes as Procter & Gamble turns toward new product innovation to spur growth in developed markets like the U.S. The world's largest consumer products maker, which makes products ranging from Tide detergent to Gillette Razors, said Friday its net income fell 16 percent as it faced a tough comparison with last year's results.
P&G Marketing Director Rishi Dhingra said the toothpastes were designed to "allow for an unexpected experience through flavors that offer personal expression."
It's not the first time Crest has tried unusual flavors in toothpaste. In 2003, Crest introduced Crest Whitening Expressions in flavors like Cinnamon Rush, Fresh Citrus Breeze and Extreme Herbal Mint. The line was promoted by Chef Emeril Lagasse and his trademark "Bam!" catchphrase.
Procter & Gamble, like most consumer product companies, is trying to offset slower growth in developed markets with cost cuts and by expanding in emerging markets. It is also focusing on new products in developed markets like the U.S.
On Friday the company said it has updates to its Crest 3D White oral care products, new Old Spice products like shampoo and conditioner and a new Pantene formula all in the pipeline.
The toothpaste line will be available the first week in February at drugstores and mass retailers nationwide and will retail for $4.99.
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529 plan
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Utah Transit Authority eyeing electric bus...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Balancing act: First 'real' job teaches...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- In a surprising move, Dollar Tree will buy...
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 11
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529... 5