REMI PRINCE, Taylorsville, boys basketball: The Warriors are right in the thick of the Region 2 race thanks in large part to this junior.
He plays extremely hard. His stats dont always show the impact he has because defensively he really causes fits for some people, said Taylorsville coach Jim Boyce. Even though he might not show up big-time in stats he changes the game the way we play.
He showed up big-time last week though.
Despite averaging 9.1 points and 4.4 rebounds this season, he recorded a staggering 25 points and 19 rebounds both career highs in a 67-58 win over Hillcrest.
In an 80-70 win over Cottonwood, he finished with 10 points and six rebounds.
Hes always running the floor and playing hard defense. Hes been our most consistent as far as effort goes, said Boyce.
He really gets us going, hes always running the floor and playing hard defense. Hes been our most consistent as far as effort goes.
MATTIE EVENSEN, Taylorsville, girls basketball: Seven. The 6-foot-3 senior has recorded seven double-doubles in the Warriors 15 games. She is averaging 11.7 points per game and 9.7 rebounds per game, including a season-high of 19 boards, which she recorded last Wednesday in a win over Hillcrest.
She has recorded (the) double-doubles this season even though she is constantly double- and triple-teamed, said Taylorsville coach Vicki Bohney.
She is one of the hardest workers you will meet. Mattie is always the first one done whenever we are conditioning partly because of her long strides. In fact, if she is finished, she will go run with someone who is having a hard time finishing.
On top of her work ethic inside the gymnasium, Evensen also holds numerous jobs and is an outstanding student.
She has a 4.1 grade point average (and) she will practically graduate high school with an associates degree; she is doing her clinicals to become a certified nursing assistant; she has been working at a dental office; and she has a job at a sandwich shop, Bohney said. She is what you would call an over-achiever on and off the court.
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Utah Jazz excited for a crack at undefeated...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU football what you may have missed: Not...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 107
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 68
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 61
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 46
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 36
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for... 33