REMI PRINCE, Taylorsville, boys basketball: The Warriors are right in the thick of the Region 2 race thanks in large part to this junior.
He plays extremely hard. His stats dont always show the impact he has because defensively he really causes fits for some people, said Taylorsville coach Jim Boyce. Even though he might not show up big-time in stats he changes the game the way we play.
He showed up big-time last week though.
Despite averaging 9.1 points and 4.4 rebounds this season, he recorded a staggering 25 points and 19 rebounds both career highs in a 67-58 win over Hillcrest.
In an 80-70 win over Cottonwood, he finished with 10 points and six rebounds.
Hes always running the floor and playing hard defense. Hes been our most consistent as far as effort goes, said Boyce.
He really gets us going, hes always running the floor and playing hard defense. Hes been our most consistent as far as effort goes.
MATTIE EVENSEN, Taylorsville, girls basketball: Seven. The 6-foot-3 senior has recorded seven double-doubles in the Warriors 15 games. She is averaging 11.7 points per game and 9.7 rebounds per game, including a season-high of 19 boards, which she recorded last Wednesday in a win over Hillcrest.
She has recorded (the) double-doubles this season even though she is constantly double- and triple-teamed, said Taylorsville coach Vicki Bohney.
She is one of the hardest workers you will meet. Mattie is always the first one done whenever we are conditioning partly because of her long strides. In fact, if she is finished, she will go run with someone who is having a hard time finishing.
On top of her work ethic inside the gymnasium, Evensen also holds numerous jobs and is an outstanding student.
She has a 4.1 grade point average (and) she will practically graduate high school with an associates degree; she is doing her clinicals to become a certified nursing assistant; she has been working at a dental office; and she has a job at a sandwich shop, Bohney said. She is what you would call an over-achiever on and off the court.
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of...
- No stranger to struggle: Cottonwood's Cooper...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep Utah...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars trounce the...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Utah football: Ute offense shines in...
- Is Tyrone Corbin gone? Utah Jazz, coach's...
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 62
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 58
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 56
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 18
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to... 17
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 17
- Utah Jazz: Trey Burke scores career... 15