Jason DeCrow, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Investors in U.S. stocks are shrugging off emerging-market fears as futures for all three major indexes rose ahead of the opening bell on Monday. The advances are bucking a global trend, with most European and Asian markets lower.
KEEPING SCORE: Dow Jones industrial average futures are up 31 points to 15,847 before the opening bell. Standard & Poor's 500 index futures are up five points to 1,787. Nasdaq futures are up six points to 3,538.
OVERSEAS ANGST: Most major European stock markets are down. Britain's FTSE 100 is down 1.6 percent, followed by markets in Greece, Spain and Germany. France's CAC 40 is up 0.1 percent. In Asia, the Hang Seng and the Nikkei are each down more than 2 percent.
CURRENCY TUMULT: The Turkish lira hit a record low of 2.39 per dollar before recovering to 2.32 per dollar after the central bank said it would hold an emergency policy meeting on Tuesday. The South African rand fell another 0.3 percent to 11.13 per dollar, and Russia's ruble fell 0.5 percent to 34.68 per dollar.
CAT ROARS: Caterpillar shares rose 7 percent in premarket trading after reporting fourth-quarter net income that beat analysts' estimates. Several companies will report results after the market closes Monday, among them Zions Bancorp, Seagate Technology and Apple.
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your time,...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Target data breach: Credit monitoring will...
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see their...
- Doug Robinson: Gail Miller — Carrying...
- Bitcoin controversy marks Newsweek's comeback
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your... 15
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 14
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 13
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- House backs bill to block EPA rule... 3
- Salt Lake Bees' stadium renamed Smith's... 3
- In populist appeal, Obama spotlights... 1
- China takes aim at pollution after... 1