In an interview with The Associated Press last month, Braun said his client had "got a little bit into trouble," when asked about the formerly squeaky clean singer's woes. In the same interview, Usher, Bieber's mentor, said his troubles are part of his maturation.
"The beautiful part about it is that those that are invested in a long term story you understand that there are peaks and valleys in every person's life some," the R&B star said. "Unfortunately the reality is he has to live with a camera in front of him, but what he chooses to do on or off camera is analyzed or scrutinized in some off way."
As a result of the charges, Bieber could automatically lose his license for a year and he could face a fine up to $1000 and 50 hours of community service. The ramifications for his career are less clear. There have been plenty of music stars who have been entwined in far more serious legal trouble or scandal, and have rebounded thanks to the power of a hit single and/or an image makeover.
While his fan base may be dwindling, he still has key support from those in the music industry,
"I don't know Justin and I don't know what he's involved in. All I know is if drugs are involved and I hope they are not, they're lethal," music mogul Clive Davis said in an interview Thursday after Bieber's arrest. "He's a young man with strong talent that has really found an audience, so I'm sure we wish him well."
"I guess he could just focus on his career most of all," added Jennifer Hudson, sitting next to Davis. "All we can do is wish him the best, you know. He'll find his way."
AP Music Writer Chris Talbott and AP Writer Nicole Evatt contributed to this report.
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- US, Arab allies hit IS strongholds in Syria,...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking?
- Police say rifle carried by ambush suspect found
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White House...
- Obama scores coalition victory with Arab strikes
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- Obama scores coalition victory with... 16
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 14
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 14
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land... 11
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 10
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 9
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9