'Black Sails' star not worried about his mom's review, even though mom is Maggie Smith
NEW YORK — Toby Stephens may be concerned about reviews of his portrayal of Captain Flint in the Starz's series "Black Sails." There is, however, one viewer he's not worried about — his mother, actress Maggie Smith.
"I'm used to it," Stephens said about his mother's judgments in a recent interview to promote the series which premieres Saturday at 9 p.m. Eastern. The 44-year-old actor added: "I'm not reliant anymore on whether she enjoys something."
Stephens said that while his Oscar-winning mother, who is currently in "Downton Abbey," would prefer to like the shows he's in, when she doesn't, "It's not going to ruin her day."
For Stephens, what's "nerve-wracking" is when Smith comes to see him in a play because he knows she'll pop backstage after the show "and it's palpable whether she's liked it or not."
"Black Sails" is a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island" novel, in which Captain Flint is described as a notorious, terrifying pirate by the drunken seaman Billy Bones.
It was Flint whose loot is the treasure buried on Treasure Island and Stephens says that gives the creative team a lot of leeway in creating their Captain Flint. "They wanted to create a complex character who ends up as this person but isn't necessarily that at the beginning of this show."
- Health care system can make dying difficult...
- An 'unlikely father of five': Comedian Jim...
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but social...
- 20 things I will not regret doing with my kids
- Clean Cut: '20 things we should say more often'
- Disney's 'Frozen' bridges generation gap for...
- The Piano Guys release new video featuring...
- 7 young musicians to perform with Utah...
- TV is reshaping what it means to be a... 10
- Congress releases war funds to fight Ebola 9
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but... 6
- Health care system can make dying... 5
- Work is sometimes the best medicine 3
- Walkable communities can help old and... 2
- Body Worlds exhibit debuts this weekend... 2
- The challenge of using media to tell... 2