'Black Sails' star not worried about his mom's review, even though mom is Maggie Smith
NEW YORK — Toby Stephens may be concerned about reviews of his portrayal of Captain Flint in the Starz's series "Black Sails." There is, however, one viewer he's not worried about — his mother, actress Maggie Smith.
"I'm used to it," Stephens said about his mother's judgments in a recent interview to promote the series which premieres Saturday at 9 p.m. Eastern. The 44-year-old actor added: "I'm not reliant anymore on whether she enjoys something."
Stephens said that while his Oscar-winning mother, who is currently in "Downton Abbey," would prefer to like the shows he's in, when she doesn't, "It's not going to ruin her day."
For Stephens, what's "nerve-wracking" is when Smith comes to see him in a play because he knows she'll pop backstage after the show "and it's palpable whether she's liked it or not."
"Black Sails" is a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island" novel, in which Captain Flint is described as a notorious, terrifying pirate by the drunken seaman Billy Bones.
It was Flint whose loot is the treasure buried on Treasure Island and Stephens says that gives the creative team a lot of leeway in creating their Captain Flint. "They wanted to create a complex character who ends up as this person but isn't necessarily that at the beginning of this show."
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- 11-year-old girl honors sick grandfather by...
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood challenge
- The Clean Cut: 12-year-old boy writes,...
- ‘Tootsie,’ ‘Trapped By...
- The Clean Cut: Children identify mom without...
- Filmmaker says 'Nerd Prom' has grown to...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 35
- Erin Stewart: Are trampolines too... 17
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Does being married bring you closer to... 7
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 6
- Airline industry is least liked... 4
- Health law brings growth in food stamps... 3