WASHINGTON — Thousands of abortion opponents are facing wind chills in the single digits to rally and march on Capitol Hill to protest legalized abortion Wednesday, with a signal of support from Pope Francis.
The annual "March for Life" is held every January on the anniversary of the Supreme Court's landmark 1973 decision that declared a constitutional right to abortion. The event draws many Catholic high school and college students from across the country for a series of events and prayer vigils leading up to a rally and march on the National Mall.
Francis, who has emphasized a broader focus on poverty beyond divisive issues, sent his support for the anti-abortion march.
"I join the March for Life in Washington with my prayers," the pope tweeted. "May God help us respect all life, especially the most vulnerable."
President Barack Obama also issued a statement Wednesday, saying the 41st anniversary of the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision is a chance to "recommit ourselves to the decision's guiding principle: that every woman should be able to make her own choices about her body and her health."
The president also said the nation should resolve to protect a woman's access to health care, her right to privacy and to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies.
The theme of this year's march is adoption and eliminating stigma around adoption as an alternative to abortion for pregnant women who face difficult situations.
Republican House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and Democratic Rep. Dan Lipinski of Illinois are among a group of lawmakers scheduled to speak at the anti-abortion rally Wednesday.
The march begins on the National Mall with a rally at noon. Then protesters will march along Constitution Avenue to Capitol Hill and the Supreme Court.
- For the first time in American history,...
- Amish country bristles at ‘Mafia’...
- You'll never believe where your bottled water...
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn into...
- Napa earthquake hastens calls for warning system
- Ebola has 'upper hand,' says US official
- Ask Mr. Dad: Handling a child’s...
- Putin sits down with Ukrainian president for...
- For the first time in American history,... 24
- Obama faces tough options in Iraq and... 23
- Obama administration announces new... 19
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 16
- Rev. Al Sharpton plays prominent role... 15
- Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common... 14
- Obama back at White House after summer... 14
- Mourners gather in St. Louis for Brown... 13