ABEL PORTER, Davis, basketball: Since dropping its opening game of the season, Davis has won 11 consecutive games, and during that stretch Porter has contributed in a multitude of ways.
Last week, in a 66-51 win over Fremont, Porter only scored six points nine below his season average but he facilitated the offense with nine assists while recording five rebounds and five steals. Then, in a 52-29 win over Northridge, Porter responded with a game-high 21 points along with five rebounds and three assists.
This season Porter is averaging 15.08 points per game (third-highest on the team), 5.33 rebounds (second-highest), 4.5 assists (highest) and 1.92 steals (second-highest) per game.
SHELBEE MOLEN, Fremont, basketball: With less than five seconds left on the clock and facing a two-point deficit against Layton, Molen hit a 3-pointer her fourth of the game from the top of the key to give the Silver Wolves a key region win.
Molen scored 18 points in the game and had 15 points with three 3s against Davis earlier in the week to push second-ranked Wolves win streak to 10 games.
She is playing extremely well on both sides of the floor this year, said Fremont head coach Lisa Dalebout. I believe she will end up being one of the premier guards of the state by the end of this season.
Just a junior, Molen currently ranks second in 5A scoring with 19.8 points per game and is tied for the most made 3-pointers with 42. She has already committed to play for Jeff Judkins at BYU and has also played a major role in the Silver Wolves 12-1 start and 4-0 standing in Region 1 so far this season.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26