MONTPELIER, Vt. — The most interesting man in the world is helping a Vermont-based company raise money to fight cancer in dogs.
Jonathan Goldsmith is a Manchester resident made famous by his role in the Dos Equis beer commercials. But he's also a dog lover hoping to raise funds for the Denver-based Morris Animal Foundation, which promotes veterinary research for companion animals, horses and wildlife.
"It's very simple. It takes money, and I can help them raise money," said Goldsmith, who has two Anatolian shepherds and lost a third dog to canine cancer. "The nicest thing about so-called celebrity status is to be able to call attention to the things that you believe in."
The 75-year-old Goldsmith has appeared in movies and TV shows including "Charlie's Angels," ''T.J. Hooker," ''Magnum, P.I.," and "Dallas." He has also been involved in a number of nonprofit groups, including one that worked with survivors of land mines and bombs from war zones, and has worked with disabled and at-risk children.
He recently made an online commercial with his dog Willy as part of a campaign by the Manchester-based Orvis Co., which is known for its outdoor apparel and fly fishing but also has a dog catalog.
Orvis produced the commercial as a way to help encourage visitors to the website to nominate their dog as part of the Orvis Cover Dog Contest. People can enter their pet on the Orvis Cover Dog section of the company's website.
Each vote costs $1, with the proceeds given to the Morris Foundation. In the five years Orvis has run the contest, they've raised almost $1 million. They are hoping to cross the $1 million threshold this year with Goldsmith's help. The contest runs through the end of March.
The commercial was shot in Goldsmith's home.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Police arrest man who posed as Mormon...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- By changing its name, ABC Family clarifies...
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes...
- Federal judge: Tribal court can't hear...
- Finnish schools might understand something...
- 'Harry Potter' e-books come to life in new...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 65
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from... 52
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Mother-son bond over guns links Oregon,... 22
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance... 21
- Clinton pitches new gun controls... 15
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15