NFC championship: Seahawks rally, beat 49ers 23-17 to earn spot in Super Bowl (+photos)
It took only two plays for Kam Chancellor to haul in Kaepernick's underthrow to Boldin, and Hauschka's 47-yarder ended the scoring.
But not the excitement.
Kaepernick, who rushed for 130 yards, got San Francisco to the Seattle 18 with his arm. But his pass for Crabtree was brilliantly tipped by Sherman to Smith.
"We knew it would come down to us in the back end to win this thing," Sherman said.
The final play was similar to last year's Super Bowl ending, when Kaepernick missed Crabtree in the end zone from the 5.
"It's tough. Any time you get this close to the Super Bowl and lose, it's pretty upsetting," tight end Vernon Davis said. "We just didn't get it. We've been down this road before in the same kind of situation. It's hard."
Whether it was nerves or just a great play by Aldon Smith, Wilson fumbled on Seattle's first snap. Smith got credit for a sack and a recovery, too — a defender's dream — at the Seahawks 15.
More staunch defense followed, this time by Seattle, which held and only gave up Phil Dawson's 25-yard field goal.
Seattle simply had no answers for Kaepernick's runs, looking either flat-footed or plain-out lost when he took off. He gained 98 yards on the ground in the first half, including a 58-yard second-quarter run, the longest of his three-year career and the longest Seattle's defense allowed all season.
But he was less effective in the second half and was plagued by turnovers.
Wilson came up with a huge improvisation of his own moments after Kaepernick's long jaunt. Wilson avoided the rush with some nifty scrambling before spotting Baldwin behind the defense for a 51-yard pickup.
All it resulted in was Hauschka's 32-yard field goal, making it 10-3.
Baldwin finished with six receptions for 106 yards.
And now it's on to New Jersey, where Carroll once coached the Jets for a season. That didn't end well — he was fired so the team could hire Rich Kotite. He heads back with a chance to add a Super Bowl crown to two national titles as coach at Southern California.
"It's quite a magical moment," Carroll said. "You can't really grasp the moment. Did we really do this?"
Yep — the Seahawks and their 12th Man.
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 39
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 34
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 33
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21