'Breaking Bad' continues victory lap, 'American Hustle' wins top honor at SAG Awards
The ABC sitcom "Modern Family" enjoyed another round of awards, winning for ensemble in a comedy series and taking the male actor in a comedy series honor for Ty Burrell.
SAG and the academy don't always agree: Neither "August: Osage County" nor "The Butler" were nominated for best picture, and "The Butler" was snubbed entirely. The effects-heavy, sparsely peopled "Gravity" was predictably overlooked by SAG (except for a best actress nomination to Sandra Bullock), while it garnered 10 Oscar nods.
The SAG Awards are one of the more collegial stops on the awards circuit, with winners almost uniformly express gratitude for an honor chosen by their peers. A good speech (like Nyong'o's) can help stoke Oscar support.
Emma Thompson, a surprise snub in Thursday's Oscar nominations for the "Mary Poppins" making-of tale "Saving Mr. Banks," was just as much the witty, winning award-show attendee she's been all season. As a presenter, the lead actress nominee noted the show's cheesy elevator music soundtrack: "Is this music available on CD?"
SAG's lifetime achievement award was given to Rita Moreno, the 81-year-old "West Side Story" actress whose career has spanned Broadway, television and music. Introduced by Morgan Freeman, the much-honored Latina legend danced to the podium before a standing ovation and let out a gleeful expletive.
"I hope the man with the button was there," she said. (He was.)
Moreno serenaded the SAG audience with a few bars from "This Is All I Ask":
"And let the music play/ As long as there's a song to sing/ And I will stay younger than spring."
Associated Press writers Beth Harris and Anthony McCartney in Los Angeles contributed to this report.
Follow AP Film Writer Jake Coyle on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/jake_coyle
- Poll: Two-thirds of US would struggle to...
- Oklahoma lawmakers OK bill criminalizing...
- Roger Federer pulls out of French Open
- Pacquiao's Senate victory brings him closer...
- Veteran '60 Minutes' newsman Morley Safer...
- Mars, Earth, sun line up perfectly in sky...
- Senate vote sets up tricky talks ahead on...
- Bipartisan deal in House to help Puerto Rico...
- Oklahoma lawmakers OK bill... 39
- Clinton calls Trump's gun policies... 37
- At NRA, Trump slams Clinton for... 36
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 36
- Trump to wary Republicans: Trust me.... 32
- Superintendent: No need to obey... 29
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Hillary Clinton: Trump is "not... 18