Cold shooting and a 13-2 Nevada run to open the second half doomed Utah State in a 62-54 loss to the Wolf Pack in Reno, Nev., on Saturday.
The Aggies (11-4, 1-2 MWC) trailed 32-28 at halftime, but the slow start to the final 20 minutes proved costly, as Utah State got no closer than six points down the stretch.
Already facing a large deficit, the Aggies couldn't shoot their way back into the contest and finished the night hitting a season-low 31.3 percent of their shots from the field. That included making just 2-of-16 3-pointers, also a season low.
Utah State outrebounded the Wolf Pack 48-35, including a 21-8 edge on the offensive glass, but Nevada (9-8, 4-0 MWC) shot 41.4 percent from the field to stay atop the league standings with the victory.
Senior center Jarred Shaw led the way for Utah State with 19 points and eight rebounds, in just his second game back after a suspension. He was the only Aggie to score in double figures. Sophomore forward Kyle Davis nearly had a double-double with nine points and a game-high nine rebounds.
Nevada was paced by Cole Huff, who had 16 points and six rebounds, one of three Wolf Pack players in double figures scoring.
Up next for Utah State is a matchup with coach Stew Morrill's former team, Colorado State. The Rams' head coach, Larry Eustachy, coached at Utah State from 1994-98. The Aggies and Rams tip off next Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Smith Spectrum.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas A&M jumps, BYU and Texas garner more...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 72
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 36
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 33
- Utah Utes take stock of the offense... 31