Cold shooting and a 13-2 Nevada run to open the second half doomed Utah State in a 62-54 loss to the Wolf Pack in Reno, Nev., on Saturday.
The Aggies (11-4, 1-2 MWC) trailed 32-28 at halftime, but the slow start to the final 20 minutes proved costly, as Utah State got no closer than six points down the stretch.
Already facing a large deficit, the Aggies couldn't shoot their way back into the contest and finished the night hitting a season-low 31.3 percent of their shots from the field. That included making just 2-of-16 3-pointers, also a season low.
Utah State outrebounded the Wolf Pack 48-35, including a 21-8 edge on the offensive glass, but Nevada (9-8, 4-0 MWC) shot 41.4 percent from the field to stay atop the league standings with the victory.
Senior center Jarred Shaw led the way for Utah State with 19 points and eight rebounds, in just his second game back after a suspension. He was the only Aggie to score in double figures. Sophomore forward Kyle Davis nearly had a double-double with nine points and a game-high nine rebounds.
Nevada was paced by Cole Huff, who had 16 points and six rebounds, one of three Wolf Pack players in double figures scoring.
Up next for Utah State is a matchup with coach Stew Morrill's former team, Colorado State. The Rams' head coach, Larry Eustachy, coached at Utah State from 1994-98. The Aggies and Rams tip off next Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Smith Spectrum.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20